Today, Apple launched iOS 17.3 and iPadOS 17.3, the third major updates to the iOS 17 and iPadOS 17 operating system upgrades that were initially released in September 2023. The software is available for download over-the-air by proceeding to Settings > General > Software Update. In addition, Apple has also rolled out iOS 15.8.1 and iOS 16.7.5 for those running older versions of iOS.
With iOS 17.3, Apple is incorporating Stolen Device Protection to the iPhone, which restricts access to private information in cases where someone obtains your iPhone and passcode. Biometric authentication is required for actions such as accessing passwords, turning off Lost Mode, making purchases in Safari, and more.
Additionally, the update adds support for AirPlaying content directly to some hotel room TVs and allows you to create collaborative Apple Music playlists with friends and family. Apple’s complete release notes for the update can be found below.
Stolen Device Protection
– Stolen Device Protection increases security of iPhone and Apple ID by requiring Face ID or Touch ID with no passcode fallback to perform certain actions
– Security Delay requires Face ID or Touch ID, an hour wait, and then an additional successful biometric authentication before sensitive operations like changing device passcode or Apple ID password can be performed
– New Unity wallpaper honors Black history and culture in celebration of Black History Month
– Collaborate on playlists allows you to invite friends to join your playlist and everyone can add, reorder, and remove songs
– Emoji reactions can be added to any track in a collaborative playlist
This update also includes the following improvements:
– AirPlay hotel support lets you stream content directly to the TV in your room in select hotels
– AppleCare & Warranty in Settings shows your coverage for all devices signed in with your Apple ID
– Crash detection optimizations (all iPhone 14 and iPhone 15 models)
For more information on all features that Apple has introduced in iOS 17 thus far, refer to our dedicated roundup.